Monday, May 2, 2011

Tasty (& healthy) Baked Ziti

So, I made this crazy pasta thing the other day and it ended up being pretty, pretty good.
I started putting more effort into cooking since I left my full time job back in September 2010, thank God for that!
My husband was thinking of some mac & cheese type of meal and I told him "great, I'll think of it". So, I grabbed ziti pasta that I had in my pantry, ground lean turkey from the freezer (it was ready to use in the fridge actually), half an onion, a whole red bell pepper, a few mushrooms, 3 garlic cloves (I like garlic, you can use less if you prefer), a big amount of parsley, tomato sauce, non-fat greek yogurt, whole wheat bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
I used a little bit of OO (olive oil) in a pan and put the turkey in it. I smashed it with a wooden spoon so it would separate, added the onion finely chopped, added the bell pepper finely chopped, waited a little bit for the juices to mix together; then added the garlic finely chopped, waited a little more. You want to keep mixing and waiting, I do it that way, but remember, I'm not an expert, I just like to have fun.

Then I added the secret ingredient... My father in law, who is a proffesional chef (but works in sales, bummer) told us about this great Savory Spice Shop in Lowry Center (Quebec & 1st Ave), so we bought many spices prepped and ready to use in anything!! Going back to the ziti, I used the Southern Spain Pinchito, it has cumin, salt, roasted paprika, oregano, coriander, garlic (there we go again), turmeric, ginger, anise, fenugreek, saffron & cayene. Despite all the things it has, it's well balanced and it has a lot of flavor.
It might be good to mention that I don't eat hot spicy food, so don't think that because it has cayenne it is, it's not.
I added about 2 tablespoons of this spice mix to the pan and mixed together. Then added the mushrooms (sliced), the chopped parsley, 1/2 of a glass jar of the tomato sauce and about 2-3 tablespoons of greek yogurt. I let all this sit for a few minutes so the flavors would mix together. Meanwhile I boiled the ziti (no salt, no oil) to less that al dente.
When the pasta was ready, I placed it in the sauce mix (no water), tossed all together, then to an oven pan. I sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and the shredded parmesan cheese. To the oven for 10 minutes at 375ยบ.
Isn't it easy??? You have to try it, it's healthy (no cream, just yogurt), balanced, yummy and low in salt (I cook that way, sorry).
You can serve it with a nice salad and accept compliments. Trust me, you will get a few.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment