Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Going Green(er)

Since I was a little kid, I always felt very close to Mother Nature. I could say it was the way my parents raised me, but my sister was not like me, so that would be a lie. I guess it was in me, that's just who I am.

I've always been concerned about earth, water, air, pollution, animals, vegetation, human population in the world, natural disasters... you name it. I would even cry while watching western movies, because all the horses would die and fall and get injured, can you believe it??

So when I moved to Denver, one of the greenest cities in the country, I felt at home. Now I can recycle freely, I can reuse without people looking at me like I'm crazy (I can go too extreme sometimes, but I don't care). And, thanks to my good friend Keri, I can even compost now.

Have you ever tried it? It's fun!! Nothing goes to waste, you can compost fruits, veggies, leaves, flowers, grass, dog hair, egg shelves, paper towel, coffee grains, tea bags, etc. I love it!!! And since I buy almost only recyclable items, my trash has been reduced to almost nothing.

This year I was able to use my own compost on my garden. I'm growing several herbs (flat & curly parsley, chives, thyme, basil, rosemary, mint, oregano), different styles of peppers, zucchinis, eggplants, cucumbers, yellow squash, scallions, garlics, tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, asparagus, celery. And they are all doing magnificent!!

And now, on top of all my day-to-day contributions, I bought a scooter. It uses almost nothing of gas, it takes me where I need to go and it's fun! OK, it's not as fast as my car, I can't listen to radio and I can't take the highway, but you know what? I can enjoy the time with myself, I can observe and practice patience.



Are you green? Have you thought about it? Do you have any tips to share with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment